Nutrition is what our body needs, and diet is how we choose to get it.
Diet refers to the food and drinkswe consume on daily basis. The composition of a diet vastly depends on the various factors like environmental factors of living, food availability, religious beliefs, personal preferences, socio-economic status etc.
Whereas, Nutrition is more than solely eating a “good” diet—it is all about nourishment on every level. It is gained from the different nutritive components in foods. These groups of nutrients which together, but in variable amounts, needed to maintain a healthy life are macronutrients (carbohydrates, proteins and fat and oils, water and fibre) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals).
When intake of these essential nutrients from different food groups is less or more than required respectively, body becomes either malnourished or over nourished.
Without proper nutrition, our body becomes more prone to various diseases like :
- Lifestyle diseases like (Obesity, Diabetes Mellitus, Heart disorders, Cancer etc.)
- Various nutritional deficiencies like (iron, iodine, calcium) can be life threatening
- Proper immune system leads to often cold, cough , various viral infection
- Effects mental health
Proper nutrition is the cornerstone of good health.
Now we know, everything we eat and drink matters. However, to make all the dietary changes in a day is also not practical. Try to set realistic goals, start with right & small changes. Transform your eating habits by following some easytips:
- Never skip the breakfast, eat smaller meal throughout the day.
- Make the right choice: just don’t get flowed by calorie-free, sugar free, fat free etc. as they are not.
- Eat colourful: add morefreshfruits & vegetables instead of packed juices, frozen vegetables.
- Limit the unhealthy snacks: ready to eat foods are the unhealthiest (all these chips, biscuits, namkeens etc.)
- Make healthy swaps:add more of complex carbohydrates(whole grains legumes, beans) instead of refined carbohydrates like (Maida)
- Include fibrein the diet: it is incredibly important
- Include healthy protein rich foods for healthy body & mind.
- Include healthy fats in your diet but avoid over frying them.
- Include healthiest drink- H2O(water) instead of packed juices, cold drinks, shakes, tea & coffee with added extra sugar in them.
- Include milk & its productson daily basis.
- Focus on salt intake it does matter, don’t overdo with it
- Add spice & herbs
- Avoid processed junk foods (eat homemade foods instead).
- Stop making excuses, put up your shoes: A well balanced diet with exercise can do wonders.
- To keep a track of one’s food intake every now and then is every essential to achieve the goals.
Hence, nutrition is the science of nourishing the body which can be achieved by the intake of proper balanced diet .Altogether; a balanced diet is the one that gives our body the right proportion of nutrients which helps it to function properly both mentally and physically.